Monday 26 January 2009

New Year Food for thought, ITS NOT A FULLSTOP BUT A COMMA

The funny thing about what people says or trying to say....

In our daily communication, people express in many different ways, we hear people say : “You can’t force a horse to drink?” In a rather out of the box thinking and being a little smart-alec I’am, I used to say that’s a comma not a fullstop. So I added, well you could if you give the horse a little more salt or perhaps large dose enough, then watch it go.




My curiosity in learning about communication sprang from my early age. Monkey see and monkey do, that’s the easy part, almost instantaneous learning or even automatic but not exactly easy for a child that’s 13 years old when it comes to comprehending advice given by elderly in the form of proverbs? Some uncles then would say: “I had crossed bridges more than you travel by road?” Or “I ate more salt than you would have with rice?”. Well, that’s just how we learned from the wise then. Of course I didn’t understand what he meant, instead I started wondering: Why on earth would he do that in the first place? Walking bridges instead of roads or eating salt instead of rice. Which poor area does he come from? Needless to say, I know now. Its funny how people express isn’t it? I suppose its what we call different ‘age gap’? different level of experience? Or its just wrong timing to the right audience? Emm, I wonder…time never change only people and surroundings.

Here’s another one, As a man (suppose to be a stronger gender?), they must not shed tears. Wow, what mighty gladiator man must be like but how come I cry quite easily? I shouldn’t cry. Well, that’s how mancho I need to be if I want to be a man. You try that after being whack by your parent and tell me if you cry or breaking up with your first sweetheart. Growing up certainly wasn’t easy if you listen to some ‘wise’ saying.

It took me quite a while to understand when facts started emerging after watching war movies to learning human biology. In the early days, when China was at war, there isn’t any room or time for crying. To killed or be killed kind of thing? And today here, there ain’t no war. So, what is this thing: Don’t cry is all about? Now, having study a ‘little bit’ on human anatomy, I discovered that tears has anti-bacteria property too. Doesn’t it explain why after shedding tears due to long hour of work or sadness, one feels ‘refresh?’ In the first place, human shed tears not only out of emotion but its part of lacrimating process (cleaning and lubricating the eyes) having expose to dirt or even out of tiredness, some may even shed tears out of laughter or joyfulness? Anyway, I still do shed tears once in a while, especially after a ‘tear jerking movie or story. Its okay, man to shed tears. In fact, after a good cry or good laugh, you feel much better. Emm..fresh air sort of sensation?

Not a fullstop but a comma example: “Everyday is a new day” Right? Are you sure? Explain then why is it we are doing things as thought it’s repetitive, day in and day out? Its not a new day, its in fact a routine day, same old….. stuff, right?
Well, it should be read in full as “It’s a new day, only to the wise” . Meaning, there’s something that you actually wanting to experience or learned conciously, no?

Happy Chinese New Year to all,
Cheers.

Contributed by: Mind Matter

1 comment:

  1. New won't come if the old won't go? How about this phrase? :)

    "Man don't cry" seem to be an old wisdom code for the parents to shut their kids up when they have been crying too much, not for those grown up adult. :)

    ReplyDelete