Sunday 11 January 2009

The Mystery Of The Candlelight Vigil.


The year 2008 after the 12th General Election was the shocking and painful year for Malaysians. The wanton disregard of human rights surfaced with selective arrests of the people deemed a threat to the nation. The Home Ministry wailed its power and the police went for the witch-hunt.

The government wanted RPK (Raja Petra Kamaruddin) so badly that they could not differentiate the truth from lies. He was such a pain in their butts and the only way was to use ISA to silence him under the pretext that he had insulted Islam. This is the blatant abuse of power out of fear for one man!

When the Chinese press reporter Tan Hoon Cheng wrote about Ahmad Ismail’s racist remarks, she was arrested for causing unrest among the people. She was detained by the police for doing her job but Ahmad Ismail went scot free from police investigation let alone detained. His suspension from Umno proved that he was a racist then. This is selective investigation and detention by the police.

Teresa Kok was accused for interfering with the loud muslim prayers and was detained to be charged under ISA. When the accusation could not be substantiated, the Home Minister had the cheek to say that she was detained for her own protection.



Malaysians with common sense were angry. What has become of Malaysia with a mélange of different cultures and beliefs from the various ethnic groups? Where has the give and take attitude gone to? Is it Malaysians themselves who cause such diversity or the government to be blamed for race preference? Are we not the same Malaysians since independence and why the change to “pendatang” to stir discomfort among the different races?

To detain RPK alone would be a smack in the face for the government. So the scapegoats in Teresa and Tan Hoon Cheng would be neat for the screwed-up attempt of the government hoping to put fear into the general public.

Fear? Our father’s generation fought the Japanese and soon after, they went head-on with the communists. What they had done was to protect the sovereignty of the country they called Malaysia. Uncountable Malaysians have the genes of their father’s generation and they have no enemies within to fight, but they are fighting for justice!


Out of desperation, RPK had to be put behind the walls of Kamunting so that his statutory declaration would be left forgotten, and what were said about corrupt practices of those in power to be locked away in the dungeon of the human mind. It is the only way to keep their corrupted acts away from the law abiding Malaysians, and most of all to stop this man from telling the truth. So, the best way to stop him for good is a two-year ISA detention.

He was not alone fighting for the truth. Before him were the Hindraf Five who were deprived of their legal rights to fight their case in open court.


Malaysians could not stomach such abuses anymore and the emergence of the Candlelight Vigil was the clarion call of justice for all detained under the draconian law of ISA to be tried in open court.

Every Sunday at the open field opposite to Amcorp Mall, the congregation of the concerned citizens with lit candles came to learn the best of each other, appreciating their differences and to be together for a good cause.

The lighting of the unity candle symbolizes visual symbol of two important reasons. One – to stand united for what they believe in. Two – in one voice to tell the government that the people want ISA to be repealed.

The candlelight vigil welcomes people of all races, colours, religions, social backgrounds and economic levels in dignity and love. The good in people prevail each week with the swelling crowd. They came peacefully for the vigil and without combatant stance. The Special Branch officers mingled with the crowd and surreptitiously recorded the event.

The night of November 9th took an ugly turn. The first anniversary of BERSIH was to start after the candlelight vigil at the same venue. BERSIH gathering had sent shivers down the government’s spine and as expected, police roadblocks were at the major roads to deter the massive influx of participants.

The police ordered the usual crowd of attendees at the candlelight vigil to disperse citing it was illegal without a police permit. For weeks under the watchful eyes of the Special Branch, the peaceful gathering got on without any hitches. Why then that particular night?

The crowd reluctantly walked away to the car park of Amcorp Mall after a few exchanges of heated words with the police. The FRU made their presence felt and the crowd moved to the entrance of the mall. The FRU began their intimidations and the crowd finally dispersed after singing the national anthem.

The crowd strayed and the herd instinct led them to follow blindly until they reached the MBPJ building. After a few speeches were made, the balloons were released and followed by singing the “Negaru-Ku.” Before it could end, the police charged in and arrested whoever was on their “war path.”

One of those who were arrested had written an account of the arrest and his experience which had made him an angry man.

An Angry Night To Remember

The Anti-ISA Candlelight Vigil gathering on the 9th.November 2008 was a meaningful and memorable one for those who were present. But, it was marred by the sudden arrest of some participants at the field of MBPJ in the midst of singing Negaraku. I was one of them detained. My name is Sunny Lim and let me take you with me, no rather with us (those who were detained on the same night with me) for an unprecedented experience in that memorable night.

The weather was kind and the night air was filled with patriotism. The national anthem was heard loud and clear sung by all present in unison. Before it was over, my arm was grabbed by a plainclothes officer. I suffered shock for a moment and wondering what had gone wrong. I remained composed and walked along with him. This particular officer was kind to me perhaps it was my age. I am a 58-year old man who only wanted to play a societal role to call for the abolishment of ISA in a peaceful way. Lighting a candle to show us the way will not even hurt a fly. However, I could not hold a candle because the video cam in my hand will help me to record all the wonderful moments and the peace-loving people around.

This particular officer allowed me to my requests – to walk with him (no doubt he was still holding on my arm), to leave my video cam alone, and let me climb up the truck by myself.

It was pitch-dark inside and I moved to where I could see with the help of the light shinning in from the road. I was not alone! Someone had beaten me to it. I sat down oblivious to whoever was in there. The first thing that surged in my mind was my daughter who came with her boyfriend. I called her and was happy that they did not have to share the same predicament. Then, my voice rang out. “Girl I have been arrested. I am fine, please tell mum not to worry.”

Well, it is the usual endearment you and I will say when a situation like this arises. Of course, she will worry like hell or perhaps will go hysteria by the news of my arrest or ballistic for not heeding her advice not to go. However, my beloved wife has none as such except to allow me to my decision and with her caring words that I should look after myself. Well, what are spouses for anyway? Perhaps, I failed to look after myself well that night and had caused the tears of anguish to fill her eyes instead.

Yes, I failed to look after myself because I refused to budge while singing the National Anthem. Yes, I failed to look after myself because I showed my patriotism, and Yes, I failed to look after myself to be with the other peace-loving Malaysians. This was how a 58-year old Malaysian man had finally failed himself!

I remained composed but not for long because one by one arrested was hauled in. A young man in his early twenties was disorientated with both his hands cuffed behind him. We told him that he was not alone and no one would leave him behind. It was not our assurance but our promise.

Abruptly, a man was pushed in and he fell on his back with his hands cuffed behind him. He could not get up and yelled for our help to lift him up, and in a jiffy uncountable hands were all over him. He screamed at the police to loosen his handcuffs but was shouted back by the police to shut up. I was as helpless and unable to help him except to give a few words of encouragement to hold on. He had to bear the agony inflicted around his wrists for nearly an hour.

Then, a woman entered with her hands cuffed behind her back too. Later, I got to know her name. She is Angela and of my age. Her son was not under arrest at that point of time but to accompany his mother to the truck. He was arrested too for doing so. Arresting her with handcuff behind her back had made me a very very angry man. However, I was blessed that I had a newfound younger sister.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw a priest in white robes was helped up into the truck. He could not hear me calling him “Father” because I had a lump in my throat looking at what I should not be seeing. But at least, I had the honour to hold on his elbow to help him up.

Then, I saw a few Yang Berhormat(s) and lawyers were not spared too. For the lawyers to ask the police why we were arrested, they were arrested as well for asking. Just fantastic! It was a pandemonium actually and everyone was busy making calls with their hand phones.


As we cruised along, I began to feel like we were the cattle being taken to a slaughter house. You may wonder why I chose such figures of speech. The truth is because of the way how those unlucky ones were manhandled.

We reached our destination and were kept for some 20 minutes in the stuffy truck. Then the FRU officers arrived to encircle the area meant to be a parking lot to ensure that none of us would depict the movie - The Great Escape. But none of us was Charles Bronson in the making that night but peaceful Malaysians as ourselves.




We were asked to sit while the FRU officers were watching us like a hawk. The first hour, everyone was busy either answering incoming calls or to respond to “sms(es)”. We got to know each other and we had a tale to tell.

Then, fireworks took to the sky and we acknowledged spontaneously with claps and cheers. BERSIH had announced its first anniversary! Many of us were not amused. It was because by having to share the same venue that the police took such action.

I sat by myself after getting to know everyone because my anger refused to leave my system. Each person I got to know I could see their eyes were telling me a story. The police offered us a carton of cupped drinks and my parched throat had no complaint.

Then, I spoke to my wife and she was calm, but her voice betrayed her. It cracked with concern and kept asking about the well-being of those who were with me. Whose spouse would not ask and be concerned may I ask?

As dawn was about to break, my vision blurred because looking at those with me, the silent message of solidarity emerged to harness my belief that Malaysians are beginning to stand up and be counted for the reason they believed in. I released a pretentious yawn to hide my emotion and wiped away the angry tears welling up in my eyes. I shed my silent tears for a reason - the reason that I believe in our Jalur Gemilang!


Friends and sympathizers gathered and sang the National Anthem outside the police station. They stayed on expecting that we would be released around 4.00 a.m. but were disappointed. So were we. Some found their way into the adjacent building and gave us the roar of support that they were with us. It was very touching and we all waved back to acknowledge their kind gesture at such a time of need.


What has gone wrong with our system? For a Member of Parliament to be subjugated to such uncalled for treatment is horrendous! Shouldn’t the police be mobilized to provide protection rather than to make blatant arrest? Man, woman and child were about to disperse after singing the National Anthem and such mayhem was downright unnecesary.

The presence of the human right lawyers is exemplary.


15 lawyers from the Selangor Bar Council arrived within an hour. They advised us how to go about making the statement and our right to remain silent. They did not come empty handed. Fried chickens and drinks were sufficient for all of us and were the welcomed sight. We thank you sir, for your compassion.


The bailers came after our statements were recorded. Many shook our hands instead. For what I wondered. Simple. If it is not you, it will be us to be arrested too. Strangers became friends and friends became brothers and sisters among Malaysians that brought forth the unity for a good cause with just a little white candle to burn brilliantly in the dark under the Malaysian starry sky.

I reached home and silently sneaked into my room. On the half-empty bed laid my beloved wife snuggling under the comforter not realizing I was home. I knew she could not sleep and perhaps her exhaustion had taken the toll. Refusing to wake her up, I left the room leaving the hiss escaping from the air-conditioner dart to sing her the lullaby.


The call of unity has become louder and more vocal. Peace loving Malaysians want the pain of ISA to be removed from the Malaysian soil for good. Any conflicts between people, groups, parties, cultures, and nation can be resoled peacefully without resorting to violence, force, or denial of the rights to respect each human being must be accorded.

The candlelight vigil is basically the reason why people want to send the message to the government. The flames dancing around the wicks reflect the dancing of our love that has gathered the true meaning of our consciousness for the advent of greater peace in our country.


Use of the Internal Security Act in Malaysia


The United States views with grave concern recent use by the Government of Malaysia of the Internal Security Act (ISA) and the possibility that it might be used again to detain opposition political figures. The statement by a government figure that a leading member of the opposition had become "a threat to the economy and national security" is extremely troubling.

The United States firmly believes that national security laws, such as the ISA, must not be used to curtail or inhibit the exercise of universal democratic liberties or the peaceful expression of political views. The detention of opposition leaders under the ISA would be viewed by the United States and the international community as a fundamental infringement of democratic rights and values. (Taken from news print)

What about the children of the detainees who have been left behind? When the rights of the detainees are taken away without an avenue to hear their cases in court, the rights of their children are suffering the same fate as well. This is the evil justice of ISA.

Investigating Officers threaten using different threat methods. Among them:

Detainee is forced to contain in two separate plastic bags, their own faeces and urine. After that they are threatened to choose to either eat their faeces or drink their urine, if they are unwilling to make the confession.

This statement is made by the detainee involved, and is willing to take an oath by the name of Allah and the Quran. (Taken from news print).

A Disgusted Malaysian: You name it, they have done it all - everything that they should not, and not doing everything that they should. If the ISA should still not be abolished - don't worry.When PKR takes over the government (soon), please do not abolish it - free all who are still detained, then put all the corrupted self- serving BN politicians into Kamunting.Treat them all with daily meals that cost RM4.50 a meal. Let them enjoy their stay there for a good number of years and at the end of which abolish the ISA. (Taken from the blog - 9/1/09)


The police want the candlelight vigil to be held in a confined area but not at public places. Alternatively, the Tarmac in front of MBPJ was the choice and the vigil carried on without failed on every Sunday commencing at 8.00 pm. But there is a catch in the conditions. There should be no political speeches, no banners, and blah blah blah. The worst of all with incredulity is that there should be no lit candles. No lit candles in the candlelight vigil?


The people refused to be intimidated and they do what they have to do without fear of reprisal! Man, woman and child are there each Sunday and the most heartening is to see new faces each week. Malaysians who are overseas returning for holidays will make an attempt to be at the vigil to see for themselves what is really happening in their country.

MANSUHKAN ISA is the clarion call because it is ZALIM and we are not living in the fifties anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment